Saturday, February 7, 2009

kefir

So I've started making kefir now!! In Chile it's called yogur de pajaritos so I thought it was actual yogurt, but it's not. It's kefir.

And I just found a website written by people experienced with making kefir and they provide some interesting info. Like the fact that you can freeze the cultures. They say they've done it for up to a year without adverse effects. I'm excited about that, because the instructions I got on how to take care of kefir were pretty high maintenance, onda, strain and wash them, and put them in high quality milk, daily. Dude, that means you can't go away for the weekend, or you have to take them with you. Although, I have just leave them in milk in the fridge for up to 5 days, because the fridge stunts their reproduction.

Anyway, I still have a bit to learn. But I'm already thinking of substituting kefir for buttermilk in my ma's buttermilk pancakes recipe.

No comments: