Friday, April 4, 2008

apple pie

Vuko's b-day is coming up, so I asked him what kind of cake he wants. And he said he doesn't really like cake, but that's because he hasn't tasted the cake I make. hehe. Really the store-bought cakes here are terrible, except for the mil hojas which has manjar. Or if you buy a cake in a German bakery, those are incredible..and expensive. So we decided on apple pie instead of cake...I really think it should be accompanied with cinnamon ice cream from El Emporio La Rosa...yummy. I´ll have to get a pint of that to go with it. So in true scholarly fashion, I looked up apple pie recipes on the internet...I have my preferences as far as recipes go, and I found a cookie crumb sort of crust...flour, chopped nuts, brown sugar and butter, it sounds simple enough. Not only are pie crusts supposedly hard to make, I honestly don't find them that tasty, except for the cookie crumb variety. Otherwise it's like eating bread or something, sort of blah, really. I've never been a big fan. So this pie crust sounds tasty. The filling is basically apples, sugar, a bit of flour, spices, and maybe I'll add some pecans or cherries or something, I don't know. And then, you know, the lattice top crust is like essential to have, except I've decided on a "crunch top" that is composed of butter, sugar, a pinch of salt, and flour that you distribute in clumps on top of the pie filling. These are just parts of recipes I harvested off the internet. We'll see how it turns out. Thinking of trying it out this weekend.

No comments: