Thursday, April 24, 2008

I've never bought so much expired food in my life.

I've even bought expired soy sauce at the Chinese Commercial Center. I used it for several months before I even noticed. Who checks the expiration date on soy sauce? I do now, when I remember. I've bought and eaten expired yogurt. First I noticed the funny taste, than the funny color and lastly the expiration date. Nasty. Although, I do generally check the expiration date on yogurt because it's a handy food to have on hand, sitting in the fridge for a week or two or three. Though it rarely lasts that long. I had crackers expire on me the other day. Crackers. In fact I wouldn't have even noticed. Vuko noticed. Though, they weren't already expired when I bought them like the other foods. They still had a month or so left, but we went on a 3-week vacation, so they were past expiration when we got back. I just bought expired chicken the other day, but cooked and ate it anyway. It was only one day past expiration. Normally I notice the expiration dates on chicken and meat products, but the other day I was looking for the smallest chicken breast (half a kilo) and forgot to crosscheck it for freshness. I've also bought expired milk. Nothing else occurs to me at the moment, but I will think of more things... and I'm sure I've cooked and eaten more expired food than I am aware. But I'm still living. I've eaten waaaay worse things in Chile and survived to perhaps blog about it someday.

No comments: