Wednesday, April 2, 2008

mote, cazuela, estofado, Young Combatant's Day

So I'm cooking like a pound of mote and considering instead of making rice to go with the stirfry to use some of the mote as the acompañamiento. I wonder what Vuko will think of this. He's not as experimental with the food he ingests as I am. After putting all this mote on to cook, I remembered Vuko doesn't like that much mote with his huesillos...though I love mote. I s'pose I´d eat it but probably getting more to the truth of the matter I don't feel like making rice today. After all the mote's already cooking.

Oh. Last week I tried a new thing and it worked out well. I made cazuela de ave (this wasn't the new part), a typical chilean soup. This was Friday. Turns out Young Combatent's Day fell on a Saturday this year, but who protests on Saturday? Stopping traffic in Alameda (the main drag in downtown Santiago) on a Saturday doesn't affect anyone. Plus, generally I think people have better things to do on Saturdays. So the protesters made a morning of it on Friday. Though I thought I saw some protester signs that were complaining about the Public Education or something. Anyway, Vuko called to say he was getting out of work at 3:30pm due to the protests, and wouldn't be coming home for lunch. So I had this huuuge pot of cazuela just for me and we were going to Viña for the weekend. So after lunch, I transferred it to a smaller pot and put it in the freezer. When we got back, I took it out and it defrosted for like 12 hours and I heated it up for lunch Monday. It was still quite tasty. I was suprised. And then we had it again on Tuesday. hahaha. By yesterday it was more like estofado (stew) de ave than cazuela, but it was still good.

No comments: